The overwhelming trend was COLOR. Orange is still dominating the accessory market, but the spectrum of bright, bold colors could be found everywhere. The other trend that we have been seeing for the last year is owls. Although it is the Year of the Dragon, owls are the animal of choice.
There seems to be a return to simple, smart, functional design. We believe that this is being influenced by Scandinavian design. We bought a few items that we kept saying would be great in our new "functional design" display. Although our selections came from many different countries they all met the criteria of simple, smart, functional and well designed.
We resurrected our extinct "child" category. Focusing on buying accessories that you would give as a gift for a new baby or grandchild. This included bright art for a child's room, bowls, spoons, rattles, etc. in traditional silver to modern stainless, two "signature" Slifer Designs stuffed bears and a selection of cute animals that can be heated in the microwave and will make great snuggle friends.
1. Bojay – shipping in march. Boxes, bath accessories, chests, tables. Inlay bone and stone. Sold at Bergdorff
2. Mariska Maijers – Danish company. Pillows, art work, stationary, trays, tray tables on folding metal bases. Trays are all made of birch. Very colorful.
3. Pacific Connections – lacquer boxes, trays and bath accessories.
4. My Drap – 100% cotton napkins. Disposable or washable up to 5 times. Come on a roll like paper towels. Made in Spain. Very innovative concept. 4 sizes of napkins, place mats.
5. Corkcicle – looks like a wine cork with a long icicle. Put it in the freezer then in the bottle. Keeps bottle cold on table with need for ice bucket. Great hostess / shower gift.
6. Pritty Imports – stuffed animals that go in microwave. Heat up before going to bed, put in cold car seat. Made in England. Great gifts for baby showers. Grandma gifts.
By Susan Ferrari
Vice President, Retail Operations